Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 15th

On September 28, 2006, the House of Representatives passed House Resolution #222 which stated that October 15th will officially be
National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. If you have some time, look it over. The emotions by several Representatives were extremely moving.

As someone who has felt the emotional and physical pain from a pregnancy that ends in miscarriage, I urge you to be aware.

Be aware that this happens a lot and people aren't often too quick to speak about it.
Because it's painful to bear your wounded soul to others.
Because some feel very alone and isolated.
Because sometimes there just aren't even words to describe it.

Having had mine several years ago, and the pain and grief are no longer a fresh wound, 
I feel I can now better provide a little insight in this.

I've had many loved ones called home to eternity before I was ready to part from them.
We buried my husband's mother and youngest brother when we were only twenty-four.
And that was heart-wrenching.
But we had memories, we still have memories.
We have pictures.
We have things that they touched; things that they wrote.
There are little glimpses of them throughout our home.

When you lose a baby, 
you have none of these things to bring peace to your soul.
You have dreams that will never be.
You have hopes that are no longer.
There is an overwhelming ache throughout your being, 
because a piece of it is missing.

So, on this day I ask that you just be aware.
Be aware that people experience loss in many different ways.
Some want a kind acknowledgement... and some don't.
Some want to talk about it... and others don't.
Just make yourself aware of that person going through it.
And try your best to be available 
to supply whatever their need may be...
whether it be a listening ear, 
a warm embrace,
tears,
or a note just letting them know you're thinking of them.

"For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works,
my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance,
in your book were written,
EVERY ONE OF THEM,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them."
Psalm 139:13-16 (emphasis added)

1 comment:

  1. I love that Psalm - it is such a comfort!

    You were so encouraging to me when I was in the middle of my struggle - thank you again :)

    ReplyDelete